Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thing 14

Collaboration
I had the pleasure of doing a collaborative lesson with Connie and my using tech students on how to stay safe on the internet (Instant messaging, websites, chat rooms etc.)I found a presentation from www.netsmarz.org which has information from two students who met a person on the internet who turned out to be dangerous. The last part of the netsmartz presentation is an activity showing how easy it is to find out who you are and where to find you based on very little information posted at a 'myspace' or similar site. It is very powerful and the students seemed very engaged.
Upon completion of the presentation, Connie talked to the kids about 'to catcha predator.' Many of our students had never heard of it and were shocked when we told them the premise. Connie had some great analogies about using chat rooms. I'll let her blog about though.
Overall- a great experience and hope to do it each quarter. Thanks Connie!

1 comment:

Mr.Rother said...

I would have loved to see that presentation! It amazes me how infallible students think that they are!!